Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Finding Beauty in a Frozen World




I am really having a hard time getting through the month of January! I can't remember the last time I saw the sun. It was supposed to be 40 last weekend but the weatherman lied. I have to admit there was ONE benefit to the weather, the trees and shrubs were beautiful, covered with hoarfrost. But I forgot to bring my winter boots and my feet froze while I walked around my parents' farm taking pictures. It really wasn't optimal shooting conditions either. White snow, white fog, white frost, white sky. Geez, talk about monochromatic! It almost hurt. (Well, my toes did anyway!)

There was a layer of frost crystals on everything. Serious crystals, the little pointy ones. This is the wire fencing.


Even the cobwebs hanging from the eaves didn't escape the frost.


Winter berries still hanging on the Crabapple trees. At least it provides some color!


I sat inside and defrosted my toes and watched the birds outside. My mom has tons of birds and they know how to party! I caught some pretty colorful visitors.



I have to take the opportunity to say that I LOVE MY CAMERA! I upgraded my camera this Christmas, alas it's not a DSLR (yet) but I think it's the next best thing. I bought a Sony Cybershot H2O. It has a 10X superzoom, one of my requirements. But because of the extended lens it's a bit bigger than a pocket point and shoot. But that's okay, because I LOVE it. And cameras really weren't meant to go in your back pocket anyway, right? Best of all, it's very easy to use. Intuitive and user friendly. If it were a computer, it would be a Mac, hehe. All the bird pictures I took (and there are LOTS more) were taken from inside the house through a glass door. Super zoomed in. Awesome huh?

Huh. I just let my dog outside for her bedtime pee and saw a coyote running down the street. Yes, I live in the middle of suburbia. About half a mile from the tollway and other major streets. Weird. I'm glad my dog is afraid of the dark or she would have run to the street to greet it. I'm also glad my dog is bigger than the coyote. Several small dogs have been snatched in the neighborhood by coyotes. But I digress...

Well, I'll leave you with a picture of Dusty the barn cat. He expresses my exact feelings about the dreary winter days.


17 comments:

  1. I want one of those cameras!! These photos are amazing! I love the winter ones, BUT I've had enough of all this pretty? white stuff--I want Spring or at least 50 degree weather :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa
    You got some phenomenal photos!! The cobwebs and the fenc--and I love the birds. I know what you mean about gray and cloudy and no sun--this is the grayest winter I can remember--last year wasn't this bad, was it?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa these are so cool. I wish I had my camera out that day but I was in a real funk and couldn't appreciate the beauty around me even when my daughter pointed it out to me. Your folks have a farm? So they are not in the house I remember anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one, Dusty! ;)
    Even thought they are monochromatic, they are beautiful! Nature is so amazing - the ability of birds to survive winter. So glad a few of them stick around the north for our enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one, Dusty! :)
    Winter has a beauty all its own! And yes, we humans weren't meant to live in these conditions. Thankfully, those wonderous birds who remain up north provide us with entertainment.
    I live in the suburbs too and we see deer and coyote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your frosty pictures might look cold but they are beautiful. I just love when the icicles are hanging from the roof of our house.
    It's great just taking your camera out. I too am wishing for a DSL one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course the pictures are amazing, like always! I wish I could have gone with you and C to mom's last weekend. I know what you mean about coyotes too, we have them all the time and thank goodness we have a fence because my dumb dogs would have no problem trying to make friends with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROTFL, that cat picture is hilarious, I love those few seconds when you may catcha glimpse of an animal smiling, or in this case sticking it's tongue out, they are smarter then they let on! The cobweb picture is amazing, I'm surprised it didn't break with all of that weight! Beautiful! *candace*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, the pictures are amazing!! can't beleive the cobweb froze! what a fantastic photo!!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos, I think the all red bird is a cardinal, what is the one on the feeder, Janet B. in the middle of a tropical wet season unable to conceive being anywhere that cold.(soul journaling) I have some Australian birds on my photo blog http://loriidae.blogspot.com/ PPS open id will not co-operate this morning i usually link to my art blog but...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, I think that other bird is a woodpecker.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos are amazing! The pointy ice crystals are beautiful all lined up. And the cobweb .. I've never seen anything like that! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your frosty pictures, the crab apples and cobweb are amazing! The bird is a red headed flicker - in the woodpecker family. They are so beautiful. Of course Mr.Cardinal is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your world with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great - great photo art. I'm with you on the winter thing - I'm in Colorado. Wanna join me in Arizona next week? Lori from sketchbook

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, beautiful photos. Truly lovely.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ps--Dusty looks like he thinks the same of snow as our kitties do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful for every single comment you leave. Thank you for hearing me.