Saturday, October 17, 2009

GlueBot Challenge

Over the summer my friend Leigh introduced me to GlueBots. I had never heard of them and when I saw her pictures, I was completely enchanted. Her GlueBots were intricate, whimsical and adorable. Then she was kind enough to send me an original and kind of challenged me to try it. Well, of course I couldn't resist. So one day my daughter and I grabbed some catalogs and scissors and set to work. My 8 year old's is the one with the blue background, mine is the white background. I think they both turned out great! Here are the results:




What I learned: This is a lot harder than it looks! It took us a long time to find the right elements for our little creatures. But it took us even longer to cut them out! Patience, you need LOTS of patience and really good manual dexterity. It gave me a whole new appreciation for Leigh's GlueBots, because hers were even more intricate than mine. I understand some people find it relaxing and meditative to focus on something so closely. Huh. I don't think that's me. I am an extremely patient person, you have to be to work with kids I work with. But, I think when I'm working with art I need to bury my patient self and get something done. (I get impatient waiting for paint to dry!) I didn't find it too relaxing either. So... I'm glad I tried it and I may make a few more in the future but I can't see making a whole bunch of them. I'll leave that to the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so grateful for every single comment you leave. Thank you for hearing me.