Saturday, July 9, 2011

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

That's an order! 


It's been very difficult getting back to "real life" after a visit to one of the most beautiful places in the country. My little family just took a 1200 mile road trip from Chicago to Bar Harbor Maine, with a 2 day stop in Burlington, Vermont. I've never been east of Indiana so it was all very exciting. I did keep a travel journal, but I'm ashamed to admit it's not "finished". I took notes along the way but I can't write or draw in the car without a bit of barfing to go along with it. Plus, I needed some of the 400+ pictures I took. I'll elaborate on the trip once I get my journal together. Just trust me when I say... [Loooooong Sigh]


I bought the picture above from a Vermont artist, Dug Nap. It resonated with me and I hung it up in my studio. Check out his web site, he comes up with some truly crazy stuff! Instead of tacky tourist souvenirs, we ended up supporting some local artists and bought some prints and artwork for our home. 


I had the most wonderful time gallery hopping in Bar Harbor, Maine. I met so many beautiful, friendly people and talented artists. Oh, so much to tell... but not all right now. One of my favorite galleries was D'Alessio Gallery, run by artist Russell D'Alessio and his wife Linda. I walked into his gallery, into his newest show, and there were Mermaids/Sirens of the sea hanging on the wall! How perfect is that? (I LOVE Mermies!) Linda told me about a class they were having in a few days with polymer clay artist Suzanne Anderson... and I thought I'd challenge myself. I've never seriously worked with clay before so Celia and I signed up. She was a great teacher and we came away from the class with several completed objects - a cool pendant and matching earrings. 

Not bad for a beginner, eh? Celia made a bunch of little beads and a replica of a nesting doll, but those I still have to bake and harden. It was such a fun day, creating with my hands, chatting with other artists, Russell even played his ukulele for us and Linda served us beautiful cupcakes :-) I was so sad to leave. All my artist friends are online so it was nice to talk to artists in "real" life. 


I think I'm in love. I don't like where I live right now, the endless stinky suburbia of a large city. I want to live here... by the ocean, by like minded people, where the air is clean and the water tastes good right out of the tap, and there's space around you and mountains to climb and stars to see at night. 

[Looooooong sigh]

5 comments:

  1. What interesting things you came up with. I look forward to seeing your memories on paper. Actually, I don't think travel journals are meant to be finished during the trip...working on them after getting home gives you a chance to relive the memories as you slowly get back to your "real life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link for Dug Nap==love his whimsical art!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bead work Lisa - looks like it was fun. I love the east coast too and keep dreamin - you never know what might happen! :)

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing so many wonderful things about Maine. Now I feel that I really must go. Your beads are quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heck this froup is giving me a real tour de country! Can't wait for journal pages to show up! Thanks and glad you're home safely.

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful for every single comment you leave. Thank you for hearing me.