Wednesday, September 22, 2010

GPP Street Team Crusade #44

I've always loved Michelle Ward's art and fondly peruse her "Street Team" blog and the monthly "Crusades" or challenges she posts there. Well this month, my hands were itching to do something different and this looked too cool to pass up. The challenge this month is "In a Scrape" -make a painting but NO brushes allowed! She shows tutorials and examples to help everyone along.


I started with a gessoed canvas (gesso applied with a palette knife of course!) to add a bit of texture to the base, then I just started scraping layers on. I grabbed my little bottles of Stewart Gill Colourise paints at first, to add matte base layers, then I came in after it was dry with my Byzantia colors to add a little shimmer. Then I took my palette knife and scraped a little bit of Black Soot Crackle paint by Ranger. After it cracked I came in as a last layer and added Metamica Silver to highlight some areas. It still didn't look "finished" (I doubt it ever will!) so I took an old credit card and with the edge made some lines. I can't say it's a "pretty" picture, LOL. It's grungy, and peeling and has so many layers I think it may have a personality disorder.  But you know what? I like it. And I actually completed my first challenge at GPP. I think after I post it to the group and it sits for awhile I might give it a focal point by adding some big stenciled numbers on it, spray paint style, to commemorate Crusade #44. 


Happy Autumn Equinox everyone! The Chicago area celebrated fall with 90 degree weather! BLECH.

19 comments:

  1. lisa it's very cool & exactly the kind of art i like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenge met!!!! Almost reached out to touch the screen - love the texture and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is YUM--love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LISA!!!!FABULOUS!!!!!!Can you hear me jumping up and down and shouting at you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh lisa!! it is ROCKIN AWESOME!!! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Lisa! Yay for experimentation and just playing, and for meeting challenges! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Lisa. Good for you for jumping in and the result is so original. Good to see SG paints used in this unusual form.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is way cool! I love the complete abandon of no brushes and your amazing creativity.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow wow wow I am totally digging this, Lisa. You did an amazing job with these layers. I think I actually have layer envy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome work! I love all the bold and subtle textures!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa - thanks for coming to play, and bravo for joining your first crusade! The piece looks fab - great colors and textures. I say go for a big 44 sprayed on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful work, Lisa. You have created such vibrancy and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The texture is amazing and some of the products you used are new to me and I love that crackle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such lively energy, I love it! -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow! love the texture! and total joy you had in creating this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is awesome. I love the final result. Oh, and I want some Black Soot Crackle - I wonder if Santa thinks I've been good enough this year?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi!

    I love the colours and textures of your piece.... I think the crackle looks like lace....

    B I G numbers would look perfect I think!!!

    Wasn't this fun? See you for challenge 45 soon!!!!

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa, it's been way too long since I've been here, and for that I apologize. I love this background and may have to try some of the techniques/products you used to get this stunning piece. I really must check out Michelle's blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the effect, texture and colors here.
    BTW I found u on kelly's blog hop and was inspired to hop all 400 by Rita A

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful for every single comment you leave. Thank you for hearing me.